The MDP-1 pre-amp is a tube based unit that can be set up to sound like one of the cleanest, most audiophile mic-pres ever experienced to some of the most aggressive and attitude laden pre's on the planet... it's just a couple of twists of the knobs, but there its not a fine line between the two sounds, and there are a bazillion shades of gray in between. With the capability to also accept a line level [as in +4] input the MDP-1 is great for "warming up" mixes that were mixed "in the box" or on a less than stellar sounding console [gotta Ghost do ya?], the DI section is also a full sounding treat for the ears to behold. You will rarely ever find two channels at any price that can compare with the MDP-1.
Pendulum Audio MDP-1 features
A key component of the sound of a tube mic preamp is the input transformer. It's here that we let your select how you would like the preamp to sound. The MDP-1 can be ordered with your choice of two low turns-ratio transformers depending on your requirements: a Jensen 13K7A for a full, open sound with plenty of sparkle in the high end and a deep low end - perfect for recording all sources, especially instrumental music; or a custom-wound transformer for a more 'focused' sound, with extra presence and clarity in the midrange - ideal for a vocal sound that easily distinguishes itself in a mix.
The MDP-1 also has all the things you'd expect in a full-featured mic preamp; phantom power, phase reverse, -20dB input pad, a lo cut filter with 10 frequencies and large, illuminated VU meters.
The DI signal path is completely transformerless, with a selection of three input load impedances: 10M for piezoelectric acoustic instrument pickups, 1M for magnetic pickups, and 100k with a 20dB pad for line level sources such as keyboards or other -10dBV equipment.
- All tube, short signal path design
- Pure class A, high voltage circuitry
- Transformerless tube output stage capable of delivering +35dBu
- Low noise, wide bandwidth and superior transient response
- Choice of mic input transformer for 'full' or 'focused' sound
- 30dB gain range in 3dB steps
- Fully transformerless DI with 100k, 1M and 10M input impedances
- Ten position mic lo-cut filter (20-180Hz)
- Gold-plated switch contacts, I/O connectors and tube sockets
- Polypropylene caps and metal film resistors (pairs matched to 0.1%)
- Fully regulated high voltage (300V) and filament power supplies with soft-start warm-up and muting
- Custom toroidal power transformer with shield for minimum hum
Home | Gear | This Just In! | Swag | The Black Pages
Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited by law, subject to criminal prosecution, and just not cool.
Mercenary© US Pat & TM off.